Saturday, February 24, 2018

Elsa Coronation Dress [Sewing the Skirt]

Welcome to my detailed post about my making of the skirt from Elsa's coronation gown in Frozen. If you haven't already, check out my Materials post for the fabrics and patterns that I used.

As I mentioned, I used pattern pieces from Simplicity 4940, since I had them cut already from a previous project. It was a nice, floor length, A-line skirt pattern with a zipper. This pattern had 1 front panel cut on the fold and 3 triangular pieces cut double aka 7 pieces total.

I recently acquired a serger, so of course I wanted to use it at every opportunity possible! I'm still a bit nervous with the idea of serging right away, so I basted everything together first. This is handy, because even though I've been sewing for a few years, I still attached all of the wrong sides together!! For this fabric, it really didn't matter and I left it as it was, but had I serged everything as the first step, I would have been out of luck!

After I basted the seams together, I did a quick try on to make sure that it was fitting correctly. Unsurprisingly (since I'd made this pattern before), I didn't have to make any adjustments. Then I serged all the seams closed, except for a few inches at the middle back seam. The only marking on this pattern (of the skirt portion) was the notch indicating the start of the zipper, which was very handy. I used a 9" invisible zipper. I also sewed on a hook and eye closure before I put in the waistband.


Here's a picture of the zipper - I was pretty happy with the color match of the zipper pull to the fabric, especially since I bought a multi-color pack of zippers online.

For the waistband, I simply measured my waist and cut rectangle that long and maybe 3" wide. I narrowly hemmed once around all the sides. Then I folded it in half lengthwise and ironed it flat. I'm the first person to skip ironing steps, but I've found that my skirt waistband is always a bit frumpy if I don't iron it first.

Then all that's left to do is to attach the waistband and hem up the bottom! And your skirt is finished! (Well, except for all the embroidery detail..........but that's a separate post)

No comments:

Post a Comment